Grazing the Corners

Friday, July 07, 2006

WINTER IN THE PACIFIC

Just got off the boat that brought me back to Upolu after a first few days in Sava'i . I wen to visit a volunteer on the farthest corner of the island, in a town caled Pau-Pau, one of the last villages in to world to see the sun everyday. I went to get a little taste of what a 'day in the life' of a true PCV is like. Luckily we were pretty close match. We shared similar goals and expectations. He's been in country for about a year (Maka is his name). Hes got a neat little garden project going through which he is attampting to promote diversity, both in gardens and diets. Even though plants grow like crazy here diets include hardly any fruits and vegitables. He has also been spending sometime at the primary school, about 2 days a week. Teaching basic science and doing some simple leadership building activities.

He picked me up at the warf and we hopped on a bus, my first because PC has been driving us everywhere. It was a heavy 1st dose - 2 1/2 hours on a little wooden frame, including the 16 2 person bench seats. I was cursing my bony Pomento ass the whole way!!! The main rule is that talking is a no-no. Samoans seemed to have developed a non-verbal language for the trips, one very unknown to me. I got king of luck on my first trip and there weren't many folks traveling, but i know they can get pretty packed. Sitting on laps i very common, and now i think it may be more comfortable than the seats. Granted you get a nice cushioned pair of thighs!!

On our trip to the school the 4th/5th level (grade) teacher asked if i wanted to teach and sing the kids a song. I was already in front of the class and could tell they would be pretty disapointed so i went to work. -This is where the Pomento really helped out!- I grabbed the eraser, cleared to board, wrote down a few lines, turned around, smiled at the eager eyes, and busted out Row Row Row Your Boat!!!! With hand motions!!! within ten minutes they had it down, were harmonizing, and dancing along. I couldn't stop smiling the rest of the day, that connection, even on this simple simple level is what i've been craving and excited about.

If you have anymore song suggestions send them over. Hand motions are great but not essential.

I hope you liked to pics. I'll have somemore of my host family when i get back, this wont be for another 3 weeks.

I hope the wedding went well!!! Sent my congrats to Tiz.

Leah-Thanks for your note, cant wait to check out your blog, and see some pics. Please have a safe trip home!!

Lots of love.

Vik

2 Comments:

  • Vik,
    Wow, we got a letter from you today. Sooo great to see your handwriting and hear your stories. At the wedding the talk was aboout the Pomento nose, " a lot of nose around here!" It was a beautiful ceremony with a few "signs" to accompany the Lutheran blessing from the grooms brother. First a very large skate or stingray washed up on shore only minutes after the groom kissed the bride. It was agreed that it was PopPop. A man who loved the sea and his grandchildren. Then there was a rain storm to beat all storms for a long time with wind and thunder and lightening. We had to hold onto things that were being blown around. It was great to be together with everyone.
    Now about some songs for the little kids, the appropriate one that comes to mind is "The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the bus go round and round all through the town. The wipers on the bus go swish, swish, swish ....
    The children on the bus go wah, wah, wah....
    The mothers on the bus go shhh, shhh, shhh....
    The horn on the bus goes beep, beep, beep....
    The driver on the bus yells "Move on back, move on back, move on back,"......
    You can make up fitting words and motions for that one.
    I went on a 6am kyak ride this morning with a few good women . We paddled around the island on Rangeley Lake and had pumpkin pie and hot tea or coffee while bobbing in the water. It was wonderful.
    Please tell your mother I am all for curfew!! Do they raise any chickens and/or goats for food? Does Heifer International gift them with any animals? Do you have any idea of your "work" or do you have to figure that out yet? Leah comes home on Saturday. Jacques is loving the outdoors although I haven't seen him catch any wild life and he still follows me around, whines a little and sleeps right next to me.
    Talofa my son. Mom

    By Blogger Vik, at 5:00 PM  

  • Vik:
    I love reading about what you are doing with the kids!
    I too have to figure out games/songs for my little ones.
    I found this "Activity Booklet" to be invaluable.
    It's a huge pdf and here's a link:
    http://www.horizonsforhomelesschildren.org/uploadDocs/Activity%20Booklet%20final.pdf

    I'm so happy that you are learning so much!

    Miss you!
    Kerry G.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home