Grazing the Corners

Saturday, June 17, 2006

CURRY for the DOGS

When we first arrived our trainers hooked us up with a list of Apia's finest dining establishments. Pizza, Chinese, McD's, and a few delis were on the list, but at the top was a local hangout with local food. The catch was that our stomachs probably wouldnt be able handle what was on the menu. We needed to toughen up a bit.

Today we went to Pinatio's (the dangerous local spot). I had a HUGE plate of green curried chicken, a monstrous fried chicken leg, and toro (local starch, a cross between a potato and cardboard) the size of boulders. I could hardly make a dent. But what i did eat was pretty tasty.

An old man working on the front deck of the "restaurant" came by to take my plate when i was done. He politely asked if i was finished, lifted the plate, turned around, made a soft kissing sound, and placed the plate on the ground. Instantly three dogs sprinted over and licked my leftovers clean. Everyone was satisfied and i learned a bit about how this tiny island culture works.

Today we head off to our training village, Vaie'e. Its on the southside of Upolu. I haven't been there yet but i've heard really good things. I'll be sure to tell my new mom, dad, brothers, and sisters all about my amazing friends and family...as well as i can (which, suprisingly, is becoming more of a reality every day). This also means that i'll be out of communication for 2 weeks. I'll have some great stories then!!! Talk to you soon. Love, vik

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home