Grazing the Corners

Sunday, January 13, 2008


HOT LIKE A CHILI:

Fiji on a flipflop

Many places in this world the budget we kept during this trip would have been laughable but being seasoned PC volunteers we packed our frugality and made Fiji work on less than $500 for almost 2 weeks. We are learned in the way of Fijian public transportation, especially the car pool minivans which are the most inexpensive but theme park scary method available and employed our "throw a can of tuna in that" habit of cooking, which we did ourselves in our Dutch wooden clogs and windmills esq. bungalow. For fun we stuck to our "once you go cheap you never go back" approach and snuck into luxury hotels to satisfy our need for the high life. Here's a few pic's to put it into perspective and add a bit of color to the lives of those back home wrapped in winters cold white blanket.


Nothing like explosive goat curry to clear out the sinuses!


Looking on home base from the pool.


Sarah borrowing the royal chair at the 5 star worthy Outrigger Hotel.


A filtered look at a market corner in Sigatoka where we got our first glimpse of the ethnic diversity in Fiji.



Here's a very very narrow glimpse at Suva, its actually just the bus stop. We did spend a day there, getting Sarah some antibiotics at the Peace Corps office, drooling for two hours in the supermarket (its been a while), shuffling among the shops.


A real Suva butcher!


These pots are maid from a variety of local trees and are driftwood like in design. I looked everywhere for one that was affordable and ended up taking home a small vase, a shard of these magnificent pieces but a token of the art.
Our last 2 days were spent in Nadi, where we wandered and investigated some more glam hotels.


Single file taro in the market.



This is the largest Hindi temple in the southern hemisphere. It was being redone and got to take a peak at the new ceiling art depicting Hindi gods acting out traditional stories. No pics allowed though....sorry.

This officer's outfit would certainly be a national security concern in the US.



Finally we were forced to leave but got a quick photo next the a chili pepper poster in order to


enforce the well known fact that Fiji is "HOT like a CHILI".




2 Comments:

  • Hey vik! Forgot how to post, so I hope you find my words here. I am so glad that you share your stories with this blog- it helps me to imagine you! I just never get over how amazing your journey seems. So glad you took the chance!
    I have really been in my own world here in new york. i just feel like I am finding so much. I spend my days with these amazing children, endlessly challenging me to find new ways to play, love, and teach (which I think just means sharing discovery). Here at home I am dancing with love, I love the railroad tracks where I can stalk swans and beaver and follow the sunset over the river and stand in the bellowing tear in time that is blasted along by the intermittent train. I love the great sailboat bed that me and ben have built in our baywindow bedroom underneath twinkeling christmas lights with a collection of timidly rooting plants in jars to accompany us on our journies. I love the wild and gentle giants that wreak havoc in this house, a group of boys searching and blowing on horns, they make me feel like a sister, an alien, a mother, a housewife, a friend. And I love ben, so much. The friendship that partnership and love unfolds is such a dance of discovery. I feel like I am learning the curves of my weakness and my strength as I learn his, and most of all I am learning that they shift and rise and dissapear before your eyes. We are just being with the question. I am struggeling and struggeling and when pop up I only know more my joy.
    Ben's truly magical friend Warren Hutcheson died in a car accident on new years day and I have been watching and holding with him. It has been such a sad and brilliant gift to sit with others sitting with, especially in the dance of death which has entered my life in its own way, as it does us all. I am just learning so many things from his journey.
    I am planning to go to arizona in the spring and try focusing on a new challenge. I am trying to remind myself to prepare and be practical as I still live in this crazy house. But mostly I am glad that my imagination has setteled into a place where I can see that step as an important part. I have so much to learn, this time that I am in now is a truly invaluable meditation, and I am about to go on and celebrate in a way that makes me sweat a little more. I will be as ready as one can be by may. I hope that I will see you soon after, it will me amazing to hug you and see you. Brother. Deedah. Vik.
    I love you
    Leah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • I think you had to stand in front of the chili Pepper because ya'll are so smokin' hot! I bet you that's what Sarah said, Huh?
    Peace,
    Patti

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home