Grazing the Corners

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hey its Leah! I'm so thrilled to see this story catcher begin, can't wait to follow it through your adventures vik!! Just thought I'd give my stab at describing what I'll be doing (maybe I should get a blog going too!!) In new orleans six members of Bard's Children's Expressive Arts Project (the group that I went to Myanmar with and that works weekly at a local home for emotionally disturbed children and a school for kids with autism) will be working at James Singleton Charter School in Central city. We are going with lots of art supplies and enthusiasm and open minds, as we are sure our vision will change to meet the needs and desires of the kids. But for now our plan is to work as teacher's aides during the day, and run an afterschool program that aimes to help kids build an expressive "tool box." We'll lead team building workshops and finger painting extravaganzas, allowing the kids to explore their own potential for creation, expression, and communication. As issues of conflict, greif, or celebration come up, we will move through them with varried pallets and safe support. In the end we hope to develop a preformance to share our voices and discoveries with the community.
Hmmmm, we'll see what that all looks like later on this week when we've actually landed in the heat and met the kids!
So, that's my story, and I am so glad to get to watch yours unfold vik! I am endlessly proud of your ambitions and even more full of love for who you are and always have been. To share that with the world is the greatest gift.
I mean it!
Love Leah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home